2 cups rice flour/ pathiri podi
1 cup grated coconut
salt to taste
water as required
- Boil water in a pan with enough salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, take the rice flour and add the required amount of boiling water to this and mix thoroughly using a wooden spoon. Close with a lid and allow it to cool slightly.
- When the dough is still warm, knead it well to a soft and smooth dough.
- Then add the grated coconut to this and mix well.
- Take lemon sized balls from this dough and shape it into oval shaped dumplings and press slightly in the centre. Repeat the same process till you finish the dough.
- Transfer them into a steamer and steam cook for 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from flame and serve with any spicy curry of your choice..Usually served with spicy non veg curries...
- You can also shape these into round balls and make a depression on each ball at the centre.
- Traditionally, kadumbu is prepared by soaking parboiled rice in water overnight and then grind it to a thick batter / dough with salt and minimal water. Then mix it with grated coconut and continue the same process as above (step 5)..