1 kg tapioca / kappa
1 1/2 cup kadala / black chickpeas
1 1/2 cup grated coconut
3-4 green chillies
1 tsp cumin seeds
4 garlic cloves
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp mustard seeds
1-2 sprig curry leaves
2 dry red chillies
salt to taste
1 1/2 tbsp oil
- Soak black chickpeas/ kadala overnight in water and pressure cook it adding 1/2 tsp turmeric powder,little salt and enough water till soft. Keep it aside.
- Grind grated coconut with green chillies, cumin seeds, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder and garlic to a coarse mixture and keep it aside. Don't grind it to a fine paste.
- Peel and cut the tapioca into small cubes. Boil water in a large pan and add cleaned tapioca to the boiling water and cook till done. Drain the water and keep it aside.
- In a large pan, add the cooked tapioca and cooked kadala along with its water and mix well.
- Then add the ground coconut mixture and mix well. Cook and boil it well till it thickens on low-medium flame.
- Check for salt and add if required and remove from flame.
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds. Add dry red chillies and curry leaves and pour this over the puzhukku and mix well. Serve with rice or kanji...
Recipe Source: Magic Oven