250 gm prawns / chemmeen, cleaned
1 tsp chilli powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
2 onions, finely chopped
1 tomato, finely chopped
1 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp garlic paste
1/2 tsp garam masala
few coriander leaves, chopped
2 cup jeerakashala rice/ kaima rice/ raw rice
1 cup cooked rice
1/2 cup grated coconut
salt to taste
oil as required
- Soak rice in water for about 4-5 hours.
- In a bowl, add the cleaned prawns and marinate it with chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt.
- Heat 1 1/2 tbsp oil in a pan and fry the marinated prawns on both sides and keep it aside. ( If the prawns are large, chop them into small pieces).
- In the same oil used for frying prawns, add chopped onions and saute well.
- Add ginger paste, garlic paste and chopped tomato and saute till soft.
- Add garam masala and chopped coriander leaves and mix well.
- Then add fried prawns and mix well. Adjust the salt and remove from flame.
- Grind the drained rice with grated coconut, cooked rice and salt adding about 2 cups of water to a smooth batter.
- Add the prepared prawns masala into this batter and mix well.
- Heat a frying pan on medium flame and add little oil.
- Add 4-5 ladle full of batter into this pan and cook covered until set on low-medium flame.
- When the bottom and sides turns lightly brown, flip it over and cook other side for another 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from flame and repeat the same process with the rest of the batter until all the batter is used up. Serve hot...