1 1/4 cup rice flour, sifted
1 tbsp urad dal flour, roasted
1/2 tbsp melted butter
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp sesame seeds
1/4 tsp garam masala
a pinch of asafoetida
3/4 -1 cup / spinach puree (use as required to make a soft dough)
salt to taste
oil for frying
- Grind 1/2 bunch palak with little water into a smooth paste/puree and keep it aside.
- In a bowl, take the rice flour, urad dal flour, cumin seeds, sesame seeds, garam masala, salt, asafoetida and butter and mix well.
- Add palak puree little by little to this and knead well the dough till it turns soft.
- Take a murukku press / mould , use the star shaped disc and fill it with the dough.
- Heat oil in a deep pan and when the oil gets heated up, press the murukku in circular manner directly in hot oil. Do not overcrowd.
- Fry them on medium flame till they are cooked and turn crispy on both sides. Drain in paper towel and repeat the same for the remaining dough.
- Cool down to room temperature and then store in an air tight container....Enjoy as a tea time snack...
- You can also squeeze the dough to form spiral shape on a parchment paper and then gently drop to the hot oil and fry the chaklis till crispy...
Other murukku / chakli recipes..