500 gm beef, cut into pieces
2 tsp ginger, finely chopped
1 tsp garlic, finely chopped
3 green chillies, slit
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 small tomato, chopped
1 large potato, peeled and cubed
1 1/2 cup thin coconut milk
1/4 cup thick coconut milk
2 1/2 tsp coriander powder
1 1/4 tsp pepper powder
1/2 tsp garam masala
1-2 tsp vinegar
1 star anise
1 piece of cinnamon
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
2 shallots, chopped
few curry leaves
salt to taste
1 1/2 tbsp oil
- Wash and clean the beef and add to the pressure cooker with 1/2 tsp pepper powder and salt and keep it for 20-30 minutes. Then pressure cook it till the meat is cooked and is tender.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan and add star anise, cardamom, cloves and cinnamon.
- Add chopped ginger, garlic and green chillies and saute till the raw smell disappears.
- Add sliced onion and saute till transparent.
- Then add coriander powder, 3/4 tsp pepper powder and 1/4 tsp garam masala and mix well for a minute on low flame.
- Add in the chopped tomatoes and mix well. Add cubed potatoes and stir well.
- Add thin coconut milk and little salt and cook covered till the potatoes are half done.
- Add the cooked beef with stock , mix well and cook covered till the gravy thickens slightly.
- Add the vinegar and thick coconut milk to this on low flame. Add the remaining garam masala and switch off the flame.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in another pan and splutter mustard seeds. Fry curry leaves and shallots little light brown.
- Pour this over the curry and keep it covered for 10 minutes. Serve warm with appam, dosa, chapati...
Recipe adapted from here..