1 kg mutton
3 cups of basmati rice
2 tsp vinegar
2 large onions, sliced and fried
4 green chillies
1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
1 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
1 cup yoghurt/curd
3 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp garam masala
5-6 tsp ghee
1 tbsp lemon juice
3 cinnamon piece
3 bay leaves
1 cup coriander leaves
1/2 cup mint leaves
1 tsp saffron/ food colour/ turmeric powder dissolved in 1/4 cup warm milk
salt to taste
- Heat 1-1 1/2 cup of oil in a pan and deep fry the sliced onions till golden brown colour and keep it aside. ( Don't fry till deep brown).
- In a bowl, add the cleaned mutton pieces and vinegar and allow to tenderize for 15 minutes.
- Then add 2 slit green chillies, ginger-garlic paste, 1/4 tsp cumin seeds, yoghurt, turmeric powder, chilli powder, garam masala, half of the fried onions, 1/4 cup onion fried oil, coriander leaves, mint leaves and salt to this and mix well. Allow it to marinate for 1 hour.
- In the meantime half cook the rice with salt, 1 tsp ghee, 1 tsp cumin seeds, cardamoms, cloves, cinnamon and bay leaves adding enough water. Then drain the water and allow to cool.
- In a large thick bottomed pan, spread the marinated mutton evenly.
- Layer half of the cooked rice on top of that and sprinkle some fried onions, little garam masala, mint leaves, coriander leaves, 2 slit green chillies, 2 tsp ghee and lime juice.
- Then again layer with remaining rice and sprinkle some fried onions, coriander leaves , 2 tsp ghee and top it with saffron/ turmeric milk in circular motion.
- Cover this with aluminium foil/ dough to keep it air tight. Close with a lid and keep some weight on top.
- Allow to cook for 45 minutes in low flame on stove top or keep the vessel on top of a tawa and cook 15 minutes on high flame and remaining 30 minutes on low flame.
- Remove from flame and serve with raita, pickle.....
Recipe adapted from here