1- 1 1/2 cups idli batter
1/2 cup toor dal
3 green chillies
lemon sized tamarind/ 2 tbsp tamarind extract
1 tsp sambar powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 dry red chilli
1 1/2 tbsp ghee
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 sprig curry leaves
1/4 tsp asafoetida
2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
salt to taste
- To prepare mini idlis, take idli batter in a bowl. Grease the mini idli moulds with little oil and spoon/pour the batter in each hole.
- Then steam cook it for 10-12 minutes .Switch off the flame and remove the moulds and keep it aside for 2-3 minutes.
- Then carefully remove the idli's from the moulds using a spoon and keep it aside.
- For sambar, first soak tamarind in little water and extract its juice and keep it aside.
- Pressure cook the dal with 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, a pinch of asafoetida and a dry red chilli adding enough water.When cooked, mash the dal well and keep it aside.
- Heat 2 tsp ghee in a pan and splutter mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Add curry leaves and asafoetida and mix well.
- Add peeled shallots, slit green chillies to this and fry for a minute.
- Add chopped tomatoes and saute well till tomatoes turn soft.
- Then add enough water with tamarind juice and salt and bring to boil.
- Add turmeric powder and sambar powder, mix well and cook for a minute.
- Add 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves to this and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Then add cooked dal and mix well. Adjust the salt and add water if required and boil for 2-3 minutes on medium flame.
- Add 1 tbsp ghee on top and remove from flame.
- To serve, in a serving plate pour 2 ladleful of hot sambar and then add the mini idlis.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot...