2 cups parboiled rice, washed
3 cups of coconut milk (extracted from 1 1/2-2 cups of grated coconut)
8-10 shallots or 1 onion, thinly sliced
1 1/2 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp fennel seeds
2 small pieces of cinnamon
2 tbsp ghee
salt to taste
- Grind coriander powder, turmeric powder and fennel seeds together and keep it aside.
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker and saute sliced onion/ shallots.
- Add cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and ground masala paste and mix well.
- Add drained rice, 3 cups of coconut milk, 3 cups of water and salt and mix well.
- Pressure cook the rice on medium flame for one whistle and then keep it on low flame for 10 minutes. Switch off the flame.
- Open the pressure cooker when the pressure releases and then serve with any spicy non-veg curry...
- You can also prepare the thenga choru without adding coriander powder and fennel seeds.