1 kg chicken, cut into pieces
3 onions, sliced
2-3 green chillies, chopped
2 big tomatoes, chopped
30-50 gm cashew nuts
3/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp chilli powder
3/4-1 tbsp crushed pepper
3-4 sprig curry leaves
3/4 cup grated coconut
1 tbsp black pepper corns
1/2 tsp garam masala
few chopped coriander leaves
salt to taste
- Cut and clean chicken pieces. Soak the cashew nuts in little water.
- In a pressure cooker, add the cleaned chicken pieces, sliced onions, chopped green chillies, turmeric powder, chilli powder, crushed pepper, chopped tomatoes, 2 sprig curry leaves and salt and mix well.
- Add 1/2-3/4 cup of water to this and pressure cook for 1 whistle.
- In the meantime, heat a pan and add grated coconut, black pepper corns and 1 sprig curry leaves and fry for few minutes. Then add little coconut oil to this and fry till golden brown.
- Remove it from the flame and then grind it with the soaked cashew nuts to a smooth paste and keep it aside.
- Open the cooker when the pressure releases and transfer the cooked chicken with its gravy to another pan and keep on medium flame.
- When it starts to boil, add ground coconut paste and boil well till the gravy thickens. Adjust the salt.
- Then add garam masala and few curry leaves and mix well.
- Add chopped coriander leaves and switch off the flame. Serve with pathiri, ghee rice, appam etc...