1 kg mutton, cut into pieces
2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 large onions, thinly sliced
1 1/2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
1 large tomato, chopped
1 sprig curry leaves
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp kashmiri chilli powder
2 tbsp coriander powder
2 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp fennel powder
3 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
salt to taste
3 tbsp oil
- Heat oil in a large heavy bottomed pan and add thinly sliced onion, curry leaves and little salt and saute well until onion turns golden at medium flame for about 15 minutes.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and saute for 2-3 minutes until the raw smell disappears.
- Reduce the flame to low and add turmeric powder, kashmiri chilli powder, coriander powder, fennel powder and garam masala and saute for 1-2 minutes until the raw smell disappears.
- Add chopped tomato and cook until it turns soft.
- Add the cleaned mutton pieces and salt to this and mix well.
- Then add 2 cups of hot water, mix well and cook covered for 35-40 minutes at medium flame until the mutton pieces are 3/4 th cooked.
- Add cubed potatoes, mix well and cook at medium-low flame for 10-12 minutes until the mutton and potatoes are soft and cooked.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and remove from flame..Serve hot with ghee rice,pathiri, chapati etc...
Recipe adapted from here..