1 kg beef, cut into small pieces
2 large (1 1/2-2 cups) onions, thinly sliced
1 1/2 tbsp ginger, thinly sliced
6-8 garlic cloves, chopped
1 medium tomato, chopped
3/4 cup grated coconut
8-10 shallots, thinly sliced
2-3 sprigs curry leaves
3/4 tsp whole pepper corns
1 1/2 tbsp coriander powder
1 tbsp kashmiri chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 3/4 tsp garam masala
salt to taste
- Cut and clean beef pieces and keep it aside.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan and add grated coconut, 5 shallots and few curry leaves and saute till golden.
- Then reduce the flame to low and add pepper corns, chilli powder, coriander powder and 1tsp garam masala.
- Saute this for a minute and switch off the flame and keep it aside to cool. Then grind it to a fine paste adding little water and keep it aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a thick bottomed large pan. Add sliced onions, ginger, garlic, curry leaves and little salt and saute until onion starts to change its colour.
- Add turmeric powder and 3/4 tsp garam masala and mix well.
- Add chopped tomato and cook for a minute till soft.
- Then add ground coconut paste ,3 cups of hot water and mix well and bring it to a boil. Adjust the salt.
- Add the cleaned beef pieces and cook covered for about 1 hour at medium flame stirring occasionally. Cook the beef well until the oil separates and the gravy thickens.
- Adjust the gravy by adding 3/4-1 cup of boiling water and cook covered for few more minutes.
- Add a pinch of garam masala and switch off the flame.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a small pan and fry 4-5 sliced shallots and curry leaves until golden.
- Pour this over the curry and keep it covered for 10-15 minutes. Serve with pathiri, ghee rice, appam etc..