1/2 kg chicken
2 onions, sliced
1 big tomato, chopped
5-7 big garlic cloves
1 big piece ginger
1 1/2 tbsp kashmiri chilli powder
1 tbsp garam masala
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 cup grated coconut
1 tbsp cashew nuts
1/2 tsp poppy seeds
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp pepper corns
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
salt to taste
- Cut the chicken into pieces, clean it and keep it aside. Grind the garlic and ginger together to a paste.
- Grind the grated coconut, cashew nuts and poppy seeds together to a smooth paste adding little water.
- Heat 2-3 tbsp oil in a thick bottomed pan and add sliced onions and saute well.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and saute well till the raw smell disappears.
- Then reduce the flame and add the turmeric powder and mix well.
- Add kashmiri chilli powder and saute well for a minute.
- Add garam masala, chopped tomato and salt and mix well and cook covered on low flame till the tomato gets cooked.
- Then add cleaned chicken pieces and enough salt and mix well. Cover and cook on medium flame till the chicken is half cooked.
- Add 3/4-1 cup of water to this and boil well.
- Then add ground coconut paste, mix well and cook it covered on low flame till the chicken is cooked well and the gravy is slightly thickened. Switch off the flame.
- Heat little oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds. Add pepper corns and fry it and reduce the flame to low and add cumin seeds.
- Switch off the flame and add a pinch of chilli powder and mix well. Pour this over the curry and garnish with coriander leaves...
Recipe adapted from here..