12-15 sardines /mathi, cleaned
6-8 vendakka / okra / ladies finger
1 cup grated coconut
2 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 onion, sliced
1" piece ginger, crushed
2-3 green chillies, chopped
1 tomato, chopped
2-3 tbsp tamarind pulp
few curry leaves
1 tsp fenugreek seeds/ uluva
salt to taste
2-3 tbsp oil
- Clean and cut each sardine into 2 pieces and keep it aside.
- Wash and chop okra into pieces / cubes and keep it aside.
- In a pan, add grated coconut and saute for 4-5 minutes and then add shallots , curry leaves and roast until brown.
- Then add chilli powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder and mix well.
- Remove it from flame and grind this roasted coconut to a smooth paste adding little water and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter fenugreek seeds. Add sliced onion and saute well till transparent.
- Add crushed ginger, green chillies and chopped tomato to this and saute well.
- Then add chopped okra and saute for 4-5 minutes on medium flame.
- Add tamarind pulp and ground coconut paste and mix well. Add enough hot water and salt and let it boil.
- Add cleaned sardines and curry leaves and cook till the gravy thickens and the fish pieces turns soft and cooked.
- When oil starts to appear on top, switch off the flame...Serve with rice, pathiri, neer dosa etc...