2 big raw banana
1/2 kg mutton
1 cup grated coconut
2 tsp coriander powder
2 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp fennel seeds
3 garlic cloves
2 sprigs curry leaves
1/4 cup shallots, finely chopped
2 tbsp oil
salt to taste
- Peel and slice raw bananas into 2" long pieces and wash in a little salt water to which little turmeric powder has been added.
- Cut mutton into small pieces and clean it.
- Grind together grated coconut, fennel seeds, garlic and cloves to a smooth paste adding little water.
- In a pressure cooker or in a large heavy bottomed pan, add sliced bananas, cleaned mutton, coriander powder, chilli powder, turmeric powder, salt and 1 cup of water and mix well.
- Then cook it covered until the mutton is cooked well.
- Add the ground coconut paste to the cooked mutton, simmer and cook for 5 minutes and then remove from flame.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry shallots and curry leaves until the shallots are transparent.
- Pour this into the curry and mix well. Serve hot....
Recipe adapted from " Malabar Cuisine"