1/2 kg potatoes
1 small onion, chopped
3 green chillies, chopped
1 inch ginger, chopped
1 sprig curry leaves, chopped
1 tbsp urad dal
1 tbsp chana dal
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
a pinch of asafoetida
1 tsp lemon juice
2 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
1 1/4 cup gram flour / kadalamavu
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/2 pinch of baking soda
- Cook the potatoes, mash it well and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds. Add urad dal and chana dal and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add turmeric powder, asafoetida, chopped onion, green chillies,ginger and curry leaves and saute for a minute.
- Add mashed potatoes and salt and mix well.
- Then add the lemon juice and chopped coriander leaves and mix well.
- Switch off the flame and allow it to cool and then make around 12-15 small balls.
- In a bowl, mix gram flour, chilli powder, a pinch of baking soda and 1/2 tsp salt and make a smooth batter adding about 1 cup of water.
- Heat oil in a deep pan. Dip each prepared potato ball in batter and carefully drop into hot oil.
- Fry it on medium flame till all sides are golden brown.
- Remove it from the oil and drain them on a paper towel....Serve with tea..
Recipe adapted from here..