1/2 kg crabs , cleaned
3 cups jeerakashala rice/ basmati rice
3 onions, chopped
1 onion, thinly sliced for garnishing
2 tomatoes, chopped
8 green chillies, crushed
1 tbsp ginger paste /crushed
1 tbsp garlic paste/crushed
1 tbsp chilli powder
2 tsp turmeric powder
2 small piece cinnamon sticks
2 bay leaves
1 tbsp garam masala
lemon juice of 1 lemon
1/4 cup chopped coriander leaves
5 cups of boiling water
salt to taste
2-3 tbsp ghee
- Cut and clean the crab pieces and cook it with 1 tsp turmeric powder and salt adding enough water for about 10 minutes.
- Then marinate the cooked crabs with chilli powder and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the marinated crabs and keep it aside.
- In a thick bottomed pan, add the remaining oil used for frying crabs and add the crushed ginger, garlic and green chillies and saute well.
- Add chopped onions and saute well till transparent.
- Add 1/2-1 tsp turmeric powder and chopped tomatoes and saute well till soft.
- Add 2 tsp garam masala , salt and 1 tbsp lemon juice and mix well.
- Then add the fried crabs and chopped coriander leaves, mix well and cook covered for 2-3 minutes in low flame.Switch off the flame.
- Heat ghee and 2 tbsp oil in a thick bottomed pan and fry the thinly sliced onion till golden and keep it aside.
- In the same pan, add cinnamon, cloves, bay leaves and cardamoms.
- Add boiling water and salt to this and then add the drained rice. Add 1 tbsp lemon juice and cook covered on low flame for about 10 minutes till done.
- Now layer the cooked rice on top of the prepared crab masala. Then add fried onion, chopped coriander leaves, garam masala and a pinch of yellow colour/saffron mixed with 1 tbsp lemon juice/ milk.
- Cover with an aluminium foil and close with a tight lid. Then cook on low flame for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from flame and serve with raita, pickle and pappadum....