1/2 kg ladyfish / whiting / nongal
1 onion, chopped
2 green chillies, slit
2 big garlic cloves , crushed
1 sprig curry leaves
2-3 tsp kashmiri chilli powder ( adjust to your spice level)
1 tsp coriander powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
small piece tamarind
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
salt to taste
- Cut the ladyfish into pieces, clean it and keep it aside.
- Grind together chopped tomato, chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and tamarind adding little water and keep it aside.
- Heat little oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds.
- Add chopped onion, green chillies, garlic and curry leaves and saute well.
- Add ground tomato paste, salt and required water and bring it to a boil.
- Add the cleaned fish pieces and cook covered on medium flame until the fish is cooked and the gravy is thick.
- Remove from the flame and serve with rice, pathiri etc....