2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
227 gms / 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup icing / confectioners sugar
2 large egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp red food coloring
- In a bowl, whisk the all purpose flour with salt and keep it aside.
- In another large mixing bowl or in the bowl of electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until creamy.
- Add egg yolks, vanilla extract and almond extract and beat until combined.
- Then add the flour mixture, in three additions, and beat until a smooth dough.
- Divide the dough into 2 equal parts and remove half / one part of the dough from the mixing bowl.
- To the remaining half, add the red food colouring and beat on low speed until well blended. ( If the dough is too soft, wrap/ cover both dough with cling wrap and refrigerate for 30-60 minutes).
- Preheat the oven to 190 degree celcius. Line the baking sheet with parchment / baking paper.
- Take a walnut sized pieces of red and white dough and roll each color separately on a lightly floured surface into a 4-5 inch long rope.
- Place the two ropes side by side, gently press together and twist them together to form a spiral.
10. Place the twisted ropes on the lined baking sheet with 2 inches apart and gently shape each cookie into a candy cane shape by bending one end into a hook shape. ( If you find the cookies a little soft, place the baking sheet with unbaked cookies in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes before baking.)
11. Bake the cookies for about 8-10 minutes or until set and the edges of the cookies are starting to brown.
12. Cool for 10 minutes on baking sheet and then transfer to cooling racks to cool completely...
Recipe adapted from here...