1/2 kg prawns, cleaned
2-3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 tomato chopped
3 green chillies, slit
lemon sized tamarind
1 cup grated coconut
2- 2 1/2 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
2 dry red chillies
1 sprig curry leaves
salt to taste
2 tsp oil
- Soak tamarind in little water, extract its juice and keep it aside.
- Grind grated coconut, chilli powder, coriander powder, 3 shallots and cumin seeds together to a paste adding little water and keep it aside.
- In a pan, add the cubed potatoes, chopped tomato, green chillies, turmeric powder and salt and cook adding about 1 cup of water.
- When potatoes are cooked, add cleaned prawns and cook for 4-5 minutes on medium flame.
- Then add the ground coconut and tamarind extract and cook for few minutes. Switch off the flame.
- Heat little oil in a small pan and splutter mustard seeds. Add 3 sliced shallots, dry red chillies and curry leaves and fry till brown and pour this over the curry. Serve hot with rice/ pathiri etc...