1 cup roasted rice flour (idiyappam podi)
1 medium sized beetroot
1/2 tsp chilli powder ( add more if you need spicy)
1 tbsp melted butter
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
less than 1/4 cup of water to make the dough
salt to taste
oil for deep frying
- Chop the beetroot into small pieces and cook with 1/4 cup of water till the beetroot turns tender. Keep it aside to cool down.
- Then puree the cooked beetroot with 1/4 cup of water to a smooth paste.
- In a large bowl, add rice flour, chilli powder, cumin seeds, asafoetida, salt and melted butter and mix well.
- Add pureed beetroot to this and combine well.
- Add water little by little and knead the dough till it turns soft. ( Do not add too much water).
- Heat enough oil in a frying pan over medium flame.
- Take a murukku press/ mould , use the star shaped disc and fill it with the dough.
- Squeeze it to form spiral shape on a parchment paper or on a greased slotted spoon.
- Carefully take the murukku from the parchment paper by using steel spatula and drop gently to hot oil or dip the slotted spoon into the hot oil, and gently slide the murukku into the oil.
- Fry them on medium flame till they turn crispy. Drain them on a paper towel and repeat the same for the remaining dough.
- Cool down to room temperature and then store in an air tight container....Enjoy as a tea time snack...
Recipe adapted from here.....