1 cup vazhakoombu, finely chopped
1 big onion, finely chopped
2 medium potatoes, boiled and mashed
1 piece ginger, finely chopped
3 green chillies, finely chopped
1 sprig curry leaves, finely chopped
1 tsp kashmiri chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2-1 tsp pepper powder
1/2 tsp garam masala
2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
1 egg, lightly beaten
bread crumbs as required
salt to taste
- Apply little oil in your hand and remove the outer hard layers of vazhakoombu/ banana flower until you find the pale coloured edible part and chop it finely and soak in water for 15 minutes.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan and add finely chopped onion, ginger, green chillies, curry leaves and salt and saute well.
- Rinse and drain the water from the chopped banana flower and add this and mix well.
- Add the turmeric powder, chilli powder, garam masala and pepper powder and mix well and cook covered on low flame for 4-5 minutes.
- Remove the lid and add the mashed potatoes and chopped coriander leaves, mix well and switch off the flame.
- Make small balls out of this mixture and flatten into desired shapes.
- Dip each cutlet into the beaten egg and then roll in bread crumbs till well coated on all sides.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the cutlets on medium flame till golden brown on both sides. Remove from the oil and drain them on a paper towel....Serve hot with tomato sauce..
- You can also dip cutlet in maida batter (mix 1-2 tbsp maida in little water and prepare a thin batter) and then roll them in bread crumbs.