2 cups idli batter
10 shallots / 1 medium onion, finely chopped
1/2 inch ginger, finely chopped
1 green chilly, finely chopped
1 sprig curry leaves, chopped
few coriander leaves, chopped
a pinch of asafoetida
1 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp urad dal
salt to taste
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan and add splutter mustard seeds and urad dal.
- Add finely chopped onion/ shallots, ginger, green chilly and curry leaves and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add chopped coriander leaves, asafoetida and salt and mix well.
- Add this to the idli batter and mix well.
- Heat a paniyaram pan and add few drops of oil in each hole.
- Pour a spoonful of batter in each hole and cook for 3-4 minutes on low- medium flame.
- Then turn it using a skewer or spoon gently and cook on the other side for another 2-3 minutes.
- When both sides are cooked, remove paniyarams from pan and serve hot with chutney....