1/2 kg fish pieces ( I used kingfish)
1 tsp pepper powder
3/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp lemon juice
1 large onion, thinly sliced
5-6 green chillies, slit
1 tomato, sliced
1 tbsp ginger, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 piece cinnamon
1 1/2 cup thin coconut milk
1/2 cup thick coconut milk
1 tbsp vinegar
salt to taste
- Clean the fish pieces and marinate it with 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, pepper powder, lemon juice and salt and keep it aside for 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan and slightly fry the marinated fish pieces on medium heat and keep it aside.
- In a large pan, heat oil and splutter cardamom, cinnamon and cloves.
- Add finely chopped ginger and garlic and saute for a minute.
- Add thinly sliced onion, curry leaves and slit green chillies and saute till it becomes soft and transparent.
- Add 1/4 tsp turmeric powder and mix well. Then add sliced tomato and saute for a minute.
- Add thin coconut milk to this and bring to a boil. Add fried fish pieces and salt, mix gently and cook covered for few minutes until the gravy becomes thick.
- Then add the thick coconut milk and mix gently and cook for a minute. Add vinegar and few curry leaves and switch off the flame.
- Serve with appam, idiyappam etc...