For Muslim Food Bloggers group challenge, this month's theme is " Cooking with Dates" - where dates is used as a core ingredient... In my draft, I already had an Eggless Dates Cake which I had prepared when my hubby completed a challenge in learning something he was always passionate about, Alhamdulillah... So I am sharing Dates Cake for this month's challenge....
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup dates, finely chopped
1 cup sugar
2 cups water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
1/2 tsp mixed spice (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degree celcius. Grease and flour the baking pan and keep it aside.
- In a bowl, sift together flour, baking soda and salt and keep it aside.
- In a pan , add chopped dates, sugar, spice powder, vegetable oil and water and mix well.
- Then bring the dates mix to boil by stirring them occasionally. Once boiled, keep it in low-medium heat for 10 more minutes, stirring in between.
- Switch off the flame and let it cool completely.
- Add the sifted flour little by little to the dates mix, folding in well after each addition.
- Pour this batter to the prepared cake pan and bake for 30-40 minutes or till a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Remove it from the oven and cool completely in a wire rack , then cut into slices and serve...
Recipe adapted from Magic Oven..