30 kallummakkaya/ mussels, cleaned
1 cup grated coconut
2-3 green chillies, chopped
3 big garlic cloves, chopped
1 tbsp ginger, chopped
2-3 sprig curry leaves
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp + 1 tsp kashmiri chilli powder
1- 1 1/2 tbsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp garam masala
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 tbsp tamarind extract
1 tsp mustard seeds
2 dried red chillies
salt to taste
1 1/2 tbsp oil
- Heat a pan and add grated coconut, 10 shallots, chopped green chillies, garlic cloves, ginger and 1 sprig curry leaves and fry till light brown.
- Then add 1 tsp oil and roast well till golden brown. Reduce the flame and add 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tbsp kashmiri chilli powder and coriander powder and mix well.
- Switch off the flame and mix well for 2 minutes. Add garam masala to this and mix well.
- Then grind it to a smooth paste adding little water and keep it aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a thick bottomed pan and splutter mustard seeds. Add dried red chillies, curry leaves and 5 shallots and fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Add cleaned mussels , 1/4 tsp turmeric powder and 1 tsp kashmiri chilli powder and mix well for 5 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes and saute well for 2 minutes.
- Add ground coconut paste, 1 1/2 cup of water and salt to this and mix well. Then cook it covered on medium flame.
- When the mussels is 3/4th cooked, add tamarind extract and mix well and cook it covered for another 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from the flame and serve hot with rice, pathiri etc...
Recipe Source: Magic Oven