1/3 cup popcorn kernels / popping corn
75 gm butter, chopped
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 1/2 tbsp golden syrup/ honey
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
2 tbsp oil
- Heat oil in a deep large pan and add the popcorn kernels in the oil on low-medium heat. Cover the pan with a tight-fitting lid and allow it to pop.
- Once the popcorn starts to pop, shake the pan gently back and forth without removing the lid until all kernels are popped.
- When the popping slows down and the kernels are all popped, remove the pan from heat.
- Transfer the popcorn to a large heat proof bowl, discarding any unpopped kernels.
- Line a tray with baking paper and keep it aside.
- To prepare caramel, combine butter, sugar, golden syrup/ honey and vanilla essence in a saucepan over low-medium heat.
- Stir without boiling, until sugar has dissolved and the mixture is smooth for about 5-7 minutes.
- Bring mixture to the boil and cook without stirring for about 5 minutes or until light golden at low flame and remove from the flame.
- Pour this caramel over the popcorn and stir with a spatula until popcorn is evenly coated with the caramel.
- Spread on the prepared tray and allow to cool completely then store in an airtight container...Enjoy !