500 gm squids/ koonthal
3 tsp chilli powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
4 onions, thinly sliced
8 green chillies, crushed
2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 1/2 cup mushrooms, chopped
1/4 cup yoghurt
1 tsp lemon juice
1 cup coriander leaves, chopped
1/4 cup mint leaves
1 1/2 tsp garam masala
3 cups basmati rice
5 cups boiling water
1 bay leaf
3-4 tbsp ghee
salt to taste
- Clean and cut squid into round pieces and marinate it with chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt and keep it aside for 15 minutes.
- Wash the rice, drain it and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the marinated squid pieces and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add 3 sliced onions and saute well till transparent.
- Add crushed green chillies and ginger-garlic paste and saute well.
- Add chopped tomatoes to this and saute till soft.
- Add chopped mushrooms and cook covered on low flame for 8-10 minutes.
- Add yoghurt and 1 tsp garam masala to this and mix well.
- Then add fried squids and mix well. Add chopped coriander leaves, mint leaves and lemon juice to this, mix well and remove from flame.
- To prepare the rice, heat ghee in a wide thick bottomed pan, add cardamom, cinnamon, cloves,bay leaf and 1 sliced onion and saute till transparent.
- Add drained rice and saute for 2-3 minutes in low-medium flame. To this add boiling water and salt and cook till rice is done at low flame. Remove from the flame.
- To layer the biriyani, take a wide thick bottomed pan and apply some ghee. Layer the bottom of the pan with half of cooked rice.
- Add little garam masala and coriander leaves and then add prepared squid - mushroom masala over the rice and then add remaining rice as a top layer.
- Sprinkle little garam masala and add coriander leaves and a pinch of yellow food colour /saffron mixed with 1 tbsp lemon juice/ milk.on top.
- Cover with an aluminium foil and close with a tight lid. Then cook on low flame for 10-15 minutes.
- Switch off the flame and serve hot with raita , pappadum and pickle...