5 crabs, cleaned
1/2 cup grated coconut
2 onions, sliced
2 tomatoes, sliced
1 tbsp ginger, chopped
2 green chillies, slit
3 garlic cloves, crushed
small lemon sized tamarind
1 sprig curry leaves
2 tbsp kashmiri chilli powder
1 1/2 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
2 tsp coriander leaves, chopped
salt to taste
- Cut the crab into pieces and clean it and keep it aside. Soak tamarind in little water and extract its juice and keep it aside.
- Grind grated coconut, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder and fennel seeds together to a smooth paste adding about 3/4-1 cup of water and keep it aside.
- Heat 2-3 tbsp oil in a pan or claypot /manchatti and splutter fenugreek seeds.
- Add chopped ginger, green chillies, crushed garlic and curry leaves and saute for a minute.
- Add sliced onions and saute well till onion starts to brown slightly.
- Add sliced tomatoes and saute well till it turns soft.
- Then add kashmiri chilli powder, coriander powder and 1/4 tsp turmeric powder and saute for a minute.
- Add cleaned crabs and salt, mix well and cook it covered adding 1- 1 1/2 cup of water.
- When crabs are cooked, add ground coconut paste and tamarind extract, mix it well and bring it to a boil on medium flame.
- Add chopped coriander leaves and switch off the flame.. Serve hot with rice, pathiri, neer dosa etc...