250 gm chana/ white chickpeas
4 medium tomatoes, blanched and chopped
1 1/2 tbsp garlic paste
1 1/2 tbsp coriander powder
3/4 tbsp kashmiri chilli powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 1/2 tbsp ginger, chopped
3 green chillies, chopped
1 tsp garam masala
1/2-3/4 tsp kasuri methi
salt to taste
1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 cup chopped coriander leaves
1 1/2 tbsp ghee
- Soak the chickpeas/ chana in water for 8 hours and pressure cook it with salt adding enough water until soft.
- Take 1 cup of cooked chana and grind to a paste and keep it aside.
- Blanch the tomatoes (add tomatoes in a pan of boiling water for 2-3 minutes and then transfer them to a bowl of cold water), then peel off the skin and chop into pieces and keep it aside.
- Heat ghee in a kadai and add garlic paste and saute well.
- Reduce the flame and add coriander powder, kashmiri chilli powder and turmeric powder and saute well till raw smell disappears.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, chopped ginger, green chillies and salt and saute well and cook it covered till the masala turns thick.
- Then add 1 - 1 1/2 cup of water to this and allow to boil.
- Add cooked chana ( 2 cups) and ground chana paste to this and mix well. Add 1/2-3/4 cup of water or as required and adjust the thickness of the gravy and allow to boil for 3-4 minutes.
- Add garam masala, kasuri methi and chopped coriander leaves and mix well.
- Check for salt and add 1/2 tsp sugar and mix well. Boil it for another 5 minutes and switch off the flame.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot...