1 1/2 cup squid/ koonthal, cleaned
1 onion, chopped
5 shallots, chopped
2 tomatoes, chopped
3 green chillies, slit
6 garlic cloves
1 piece ginger
2 tsp chilli powder
1 1/2 tsp coriander powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 cup coconut milk
2 sprig curry leaves
salt to taste
1 tsp mustard seeds
3 tbsp oil
- Clean and cut squid into round pieces. Grind ginger, garlic, chilli powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder together and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a manchatti/ pan and splutter mustard seeds.
- Add chopped onion and shallots and saute well till transparent.
- Add chopped tomatoes and slit green chillies and saute well till soft.
- Add ground masala paste to this and mix well. Then add coconut milk and mix well.
- When it starts to boil, add the cleaned squid, curry leaves and salt and cook it covered, stirring in between till cooked and the gravy thickens.
- Wilt the banana leaf and place some prepared squid masala in the centre. Fold the banana leaf and make a packet and tie with a twine or banana leaf stem fiber. Do the same with the remaining squid masala.
- Place this packets in the steamer and steam cook for 5-10 minutes. Transfer to a serving plate, garnish with curry leaves and serve...
- Adjust the spice level according to your taste...