200 gm padavalanga/ snake gourd, chopped
1/4 cup toor dal / thuvara parippu
1/2-3/4 cup grated coconut
2 garlic cloves
a pinch of cumin seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1-2 green chillies
2 dry red chillies
1 sprig curry leaves
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
salt to taste
1 tbsp oil
- Crush grated coconut, garlic, cumin seeds, 1 dry red chilli and 1/4 tsp turmeric powder together and keep it aside.
- Wash the dal and cook in a pan adding salt and enough water till 3/4 th cooked and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds. Add 1 dry red chilli and curry leaves.
- Add chopped snake gourd , chopped green chillies, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder and cooked dal and mix well. Add salt to this and cook covered on low flame until the snake gourd pieces are tender.
- Add in the crushed mixture, stir well and cook for few minutes till all the water dries up...Remove from flame and serve with rice...